On 1st April, Post Luxembourg is issuing a special stamp commemorating the 100th anniversary of the death of Dominique Lang. He is considered to be one of
Luxembourg’s most important artists of the 20th century.
Furthermore, the 25 years of efforts to raise the awareness about cancer of the “Fondation Cancer” will be honored by a special stamp.
Another stamp will be issued for the 100 years of “Lëtzebuerger Guiden a Scouten” which is the largest youth movement in the Grand Duchy.
Also, the 200 years of the Protestant Church in Luxembourg will be celebrated by a special stamp.
Last but not least, the Publications Office of the European Union celebrates its fiftieth anniversary and continuous presence in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, a fact that will be commemorated by Post Luxembourg with the release of a special stamp.
100th anniversary of the death of Dominique Lang
The painter Dominique Lang, considered one of Luxembourg’s most important artists of the 20th century, was born in Dudelange on 15 April 1874.
Lang was born into a farming family and was interested in drawing from a young age. After taking lessons in Luxembourg, in 1895 he left Dudelange and moved to Antwerp to study at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. During this period, Lang was strongly influenced by the British Pre-Raphaelite school. Lang’s Symbolist works reveal his spirit within, his insatiable quest for the meaning of life and art, and also his unstable state of health. He was awarded the Grand Duke Adolphe Prize on two separate occasions: in 1904 and 1919. One of his most important works, the fourteen stations of the cross are panels painted to adorn the interior of the parish church in Dudelange.
After a stay in Paris and in particular in Munich in 1906/1907, Lang modified his painting style and changed his subjects. From then on, nature and landscapes became the focus of most of his works. Particular attention is paid to colours and shapes. Art critics Joseph Petit and Jean-Luc Koltz saw in Lang “the initiator of impressionism in Luxembourg and its only real representative.”
Dominique Lang died in Schifflange on 22 June 1919 at the age of just 45. His works are included in numerous public collections.
25 years of “Fondation Cancer”
Founded in 1994, the Fondation Cancer has been working for 25 years in the fight against cancer with three objectives:
1. To reduce the number of cancer cases
2. To reduce the number of cancer deaths
3. To help people affected by increasing their quality of life
Through its websites (www.cancer.lu, www.maviesanstabac.lu, www.missionnichtrauchen.lu, www.relaispourlavie.lu), its publications “info cancer” and “den insider” and its activities at schools and businesses in Luxembourg, Fondation Cancer is actively involved in cancer prevention.
Patients and their loved ones can benefit from free psychological counselling, financial assistance and a programme of sports and talks. To accelerate basic and clinical research programmes, for the past 25 years Fondation Cancer has been working together with researchers and doctors. It has invested a considerable amount of money, more than €12 million, since the start of its own research programme. Every year, Fondation Cancer organises the “Relais pour la Vie”, or Relay for Life, a huge manifestation of solidarity.
All these roles are made possible by the generosity of its donors. The foundation is a founding member of the non-profit association “Don en Confiance” (Donation in Confidence) Luxembourg.
100 years of “Lëtzebuerger Guiden a Scouten”
“Lëtzebuerger Guiden a Scouten” is the largest youth movement in the Grand Duchy.
Its mission is to prepare children to become responsible people. With its many deeply dedicated volunteers, “LGS” provides a friendly setting where everyone is encouraged to actively participate.
Working in teams promotes each child’s personal development; enjoying good experiences, forming friendships and developing social skills. “LGS” helps young people to learn about nature, thinking about themselves and about others around them.
The “Lëtzebuerger Scouten” federation was founded in 1919, but the “Lëtzebuerger Guiden” group did not appear until 25 years after the scouts.
1994 was the year in which the two federations merged into the current single entity of the Scouts and Guides of Luxembourg. Today, the Scouts and Guides of Luxembourg federation has more than 5,800 members.
As part of its centenary celebrations, various activities are planned, including an academic symposium on 1st March and 3 more general public events held simultaneously on 18th May in Belval, Mersch and Luxembourg City.
200 years of the Protestant Church in Luxembourg
Trinity Church and its turreted building are an institution in Luxembourg: the church is famous for its ecclesiastical music, concerts and exhibitions and is known by an astonishing number of names: the Trinity or Trinitatis Church, the Congregational Church, the Evangelical Church or the Protestant Church.
Less well known is the fact that Luxembourg’s Protestants can now look back on an evangelical presence in Luxembourg dating back some 200 years. Up until the end of the Napoleonic period in 1815, there were hardly any Protestants in Luxembourg at all. In 1817, the previously Catholic Congregational Church (built in 1737-45) became the garrison church for Evangelical troops of the Prussian garrison. After the withdrawal of the garrison, an Evangelical congregation slowly developed in Luxembourg City. In addition to this, other congregations appeared around the country, which grew rapidly in line with industrialisation. The first Evangelical church building established by Protestants was consecrated in Esch-sur-Alzette in 1888. The Protestants were officially recognized by the state in 1894 and the Trinity Church was made the court chapel at the instigation of Grand Duke Adolphe. Later, the establishment of European institutions and international companies in the city also fuelled continuous growth in the proportion of Protestants in Luxembourg.
The Evangelical Church traditionally offers a confessional home to all Protestant denominations and is run by an elected consistory. Services at the Trinity Church are multilingual.
50 years of the Publications Office of the European Union
Founded in 1969, the Publications Office of the European Union celebrates its fiftieth anniversary and continuous presence in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
The Publications Office of the European Union is an interinstitutional EU body acting as a provider of publishing and information management services to all other institutions, agencies and bodies of the European Union.
Its mission is to publish, disseminate and preserve in the long term their traditional and digital forms of publications and informational content. This includes, among others, the Official Journal of the European Union, EU Open Data, results of EU-funded research projects and public procurement notices. In this respect, it manages a range of websites offering EU citizens, public authorities and businesses online access to EU law, official information, and data.
The fiftieth anniversary of the Publications Office gives it an important place not only in the history of the European Union, but also in the contemporary history of the city of Luxembourg.